The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC - Greenville Family Lawyer
Call Now for Help
Local: 252-493-6114
Toll Free: 800-682-1756

How can the state help with child support nonpayment?

In North Carolina, every parent holds the responsibility of financially caring for his or her children. In most cases, this happens naturally when families are intact and the parents are married to one another. However, if or when divorce becomes an issue, the state's family law courts may need to intervene on behalf of the children.

During a divorce involving children, the courts will likely issue a child support order requiring the noncustodial parent to provide financially for the children of the divorce. This typically involves the noncustodial parent giving money to the custodial parent to support the children. If the parent responsible for child support violates this order, the state of North Carolina has several options to use for collecting the delinquent payments. Some of these remedies include:

-- Intercepting tax refunds-- Placing liens on the parent's property-- Levying the parent's bank accounts-- Denying the parent a passport-- Revoking the parent's driver's license-- Placing the non-paying parent in jail

The state can also withhold a portion of the non-paying parent's income to cover the child support responsibility. In fact, this is one of the most effective remedies because the state can withhold all kinds of income including:

-- Wages-- Unemployment benefits-- Retirement benefits-- Social security benefits-- Veteran's benefits

Now that you know about some of the many collection remedies available in North Carolina, you should probably speak with an attorney. Together, you can enact a plan of action that will put you on the path to your ultimate goal of providing your children with what they need to thrive.

Source: North Carolina Division of Social Services, "How to Get Help & Frequently Asked Questions," accessed Sep. 08, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC
321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Toll Free: 800-682-1756
Phone: 252-493-6114
Fax: 252-757-3563
Map & Directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy