The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC - Greenville Family Lawyer
Call Now for Help
Local: 252-493-6114
Toll Free: 800-682-1756

What can you do if a parent abducts a child?

If you're a parent and are worried about your ex or partner abducting your child, then this information is important for you to discuss with your attorney. Knowing the legal options if your child does go missing is important, and it's also wise to know the ways to prevent an abduction from taking place. After your child is returned to you, there are additional steps to take to avoid further issues.

How can an abduction be avoided?

It's hard to stop individuals who really want to take their children away, but sometimes custody can be given to another parent and visitation can be limited to being with supervision. Other times, the parent may leave with the children, and legal action will have to be taken to get them back.

What can you do if your child's been abducted?

A child abduction is kidnapping no matter who participates in the crime. Law enforcement agencies will step in to help; they can talk between jurisdictions and can put out alerts for your child. The Federal Bureau of Investigation may get involved on a federal level, and you can also access private investigators if you want to have another person on the job.

What happens after a child is abducted?

If you know your ex has your child and that your child is currently being returned home, the next step would be to adjust custody. For example, if you used to have joint custody, you may now want to see sole custody and limited or no visitation for the other parent, if you think it would be detrimental to your child's health and well being.

Source: FindLaw, "What Legal Remedies are Available if a Parent Abducts a Child? -," accessed Jan. 19, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC
321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Toll Free: 800-682-1756
Phone: 252-493-6114
Fax: 252-757-3563
Map & Directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy