The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC - Greenville Family Lawyer
Call Now for Help
Local: 252-493-6114
Toll Free: 800-682-1756

Enforcing child support and other orders in the military

If you're in the military, you may have a few questions about how to collect child support or to enforce other agreements with your child's other parent. Here are some commonly asked questions and answers.

How can you collect child support that was designated in a divorce decree?

There are a few different ways to proceed. The first would be to get an Income Deduction Order, which takes the child support payment out of your ex's income. The second would be to ask for an Income Withholding Order, which works in a similar way.

Another thing you can do is to ask your attorney about ordering a garnishment, so you can obtain child support from an ex who is not willing to pay.

After this is done, you need to provide the child support enforcement agency with an order from the court. That order directs the government to pay the money owed to you into your account.

Why is the full amount of child support not being paid?

The most common reason is because the person paying doesn't have enough to cover the child support payment in full. The amount that can be paid is limited by the Consumer Credit Protection Act, so if there is a discrepancy, the amount could be changed.

If you want to enforce an order for a parent to provide health insurance for a child, how can you do so?

You need to get an order from the court that states that the non-custodial parent needs to provide this coverage. Once you have it, you can submit it to the non-custodial parent's personnel office.

These are just a few issues that could come up; with military members involved. As the processes can be handled differently, if you're concerned about how to obtain child support, your attorney can explain further.

Source: Defense Finance and Accounting Service, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed Aug. 09, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC
321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Toll Free: 800-682-1756
Phone: 252-493-6114
Fax: 252-757-3563
Map & Directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy