The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC - Greenville Family Lawyer
Call Now for Help
Local: 252-493-6114
Toll Free: 800-682-1756

Everything You Need to Know About Child Support in North Carolina

After the conclusion of the divorce process, you and your partner are legally obligated to continue providing your kid’s financial needs. This is in the best interests of the child. Cases pertaining to child support in North Carolina are handled by the state’s Child Support Enforcement Program (CSE).

This legal decree basically entails the legal obligation that non-custodial parents have towards the financial well-being of their kids. The obligation to support your kids financially is independent of other rights and responsibilities that you might have.

When applying for child support in North Carolina, you are required to fill relevant application forms, which can be obtained from the local CSE office. The forms can also be accessed on the CSE website. When filling out child support forms, you are also required to pay a facilitation fee of $25, which is non-refundable.

Requesting child support from the non-custodial parent is quite straightforward. You can file a petition at the family law court. North Carolina has published worksheets, which allow you and your partner to fill in your expense and income info. This helps both parties to agree on a suitable payment amount. Once a figure has been arrived at, the worksheet needs to be submitted to the family court for approval.

You are obligated to make the payments voluntarily. If this is not the case, the non-custodial parent has the right to legally enforce the payments by seeking a court order. This may lead to wage garnishments, seizure of bank accounts, and even personal property. Other penalties that might arise from failure to pay child support include the suspension of passports, professional licenses, and driving privileges.

Most non-custodial parents believe that they can stop making child support payments as soon as the kid turns 18. The court determines when child support should end. In most cases, you are supposed to keep up with the payments until your child graduates from high school. You should notify the custodial parent and the court that you intend to stop making payments.

Hiring a child support attorney is advisable since it will negate the need for you to deal with the non-custodial parent directly. This also guarantees timely and regular payments. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC
321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Toll Free: 800-682-1756
Phone: 252-493-6114
Fax: 252-757-3563
Map & Directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy