The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC - Greenville Family Lawyer
Call Now for Help
Local: 252-493-6114
Toll Free: 800-682-1756

Can the state take my tax return if I don't pay child support?

Parents who are ordered to pay child support are not being punished by the courts. In North Carolina courts mandate that noncustodial parents pay support for the care and maintenance of their kids so that those children receive the financial assistance necessary to lead productive, successful lives. However, when a parent elects not to pay a support obligation as ordered by the court, they may feel the effects of enforcement efforts in a number of ways.

One of the most common methods that Child Support Services helps individuals collect owed child support is through withholdings from the parents' wages. A parent may see a percentage of their paycheck deducted until their owed child support obligation is paid off. Additionally, withholdings may be imposed upon other means of income for noncustodial parents, including but not limited to workers' compensation benefits, Social Security benefits and unemployment benefits.

Aside from withholdings there are other ways child support can be compelled. One way is through the interception of a nonpaying parent's tax return checks. A tax return check may be used to pay off or down a parent's amount due to their child, and other enforcement methods can include reporting the parent's delinquencies to the credit bureaus and placing liens on their property.

A noncustodial parent has rights when enforcement efforts begin, and if a parent simply lacks the financial capacity to keep up with their child support obligation then they may be able to seek a modification to its terms. Through a modification, a parent may be able to lower their child support payments and stay current on the important financial obligation they have to their children.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Location

The Graham.Nuckolls.Conner. Law Firm, PLLC
321 Evans Street, Suite 200
Hendrix Building
Greenville, NC 27858

Toll Free: 800-682-1756
Phone: 252-493-6114
Fax: 252-757-3563
Map & Directions

Hear From Us Today

Bold labels are required.


The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy